Friday, September 6, 2013

WIP Challenge Day 6: What is the book's genre? What draws you to this genre?

Growing up I became hooked on mysteries. First, it was the Hollister series, then I moved on to Nancy Drew. Not long after that Christopher Pike and R.L. Stine became my favorites. I even read the Babysitter's Club. Anything fun and interesting grabbed my attention.
Later on, my tastes changed as I changed. But one thing has remained constant in all these years. I love a good mystery, with cool twists you never see coming. A simple murder mystery to me is boring. Throw in the fact the murderer turns up missing for several years, then the suspect's lookalike reappears with no memory and you have me hooked.
Both of my series are suspense. The Edge of Springwood is considered psychological suspense for obvious reasons.
Why do I write suspense?
It keeps me calm. Happy. And riveted, whether I am writing or reading it. It keeps you guessing, on the edge of your seat then at the end, really great suspense surprises you with twists you never see coming. It's what I strive to do in my writing, and when I get a compliment from an editor or reader, like the one below I know I am doing something right. And it's the most incredible feeling ever.
I love to be engrossed in a story then shocked silly. I also love different and unique storylines, not seeing the same old storyline used constantly. I like putting a new spin on things. Or using an aspect that is not used too much. D.I.D.,  the condition Jocelyn suffers from in The Edge of Springwood has been used by a few authors including Mary Higgins Clark. But what makes it unique is the fact it is a series, and there's so much for the Barnes yet to learn about their younger sister's alter personality, including how the alter even came along to begin with. Tammy, Jocelyn's alter hints at things throughout the book, leaving just enough for the reader to guess at what she is up to, but still leave you in the dark. In Twisted Revenge, due out in November the reader even gets to read some of Jocelyn's journal entries while she is in the mental ward at Springwood Memorial.
It's like getting two different versions of the same storyline, but still not getting enough detail to make you want to stop reading the book. All the dialogue, both spoken and thought lead you up to an end you never saw coming.
No other genre has managed to grab me like suspense has. Occasionally I will find a hint of suspense in a book I never expected. (Like 50 Shades of Grey) But the mystery, edge and shocking twists are what will always draw me to write suspense.

No comments:

Post a Comment