Wednesday, September 18, 2013

WIP Challenge Day 18: How long did it take to write your book?

Normally, the length of time it takes me to get a book written is completely ignored due to the effort I am putting into getting it done right, as well as letting myself get so immersed in the storyline and getting to know the characters.
I truly need one of these!
But when you are working on a great book that you are truly excited about there are certain moments and milestones you tend to remember. I believe it took around a year or so to work on each of the first two books in my Edge of Springwood series. That seems to be the average amount of time for me to complete a 50,000 word plus novel.
I ascertain the reasoning behind why it takes this long to write a book on a few factors. One, I try to go by a writing schedule due to being the only one who drives in my home. I also am careful and random about how I go about scheduling a writing day, and what book I am going to work on that day. I try not to get burnout, as well. I normally write two or three days a week. This does not include when I do finish a rough draft and spend unlimited time on rewrites and changes.
Sometimes it works out for me and other times it doesn't. Sometimes I end up with withdrawal, like an addict and yes, I can be a total bitch. Then I can write an incredible chapter and all is well again.
Instead of a caffeine fix, it's my writer's fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment