Friday, September 27, 2013

WIP Challenge Day 27: Was there something you wrote about that you had to learn about?

Ah, research. I can remember doing it in school and being bored out of my mind. Of course, then it wasn't for a full length psychological suspense novel I was working on. So that kind of took the fun out of it.
The Edge of Springwood is the first book series I think I have ever done a more lengthy amount of research on. The plotline was so awesome and intriguing to me, I felt I needed to do it justice and make the points seem as realistic as possible, to a certain degree. I mean, it is fiction when all is said and done and the last chapter and epilogue is written.
So, yes. I did check out a book from the library on Dissociative Identity Disorder, and read up on a few cases online. I paid special attention to episodes of TV shows that also featured a character with the disorder. I asked a friend of mine who works in the psychological field questions when I couldn't find the answers online. Believe me, with the ideas I sometimes get, the answers are not always available online.

I took all that I learned into account as I created scenes, and put more twists into the storyline. I wanted to make The Edge of Springwood unique and stand out from every other book that had a DID patient in it. I am also anxious to see where the subject matter takes me, as the series continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment