Thursday, September 19, 2013

WIP Challenge Day 19: Did your faith or beliefs impact your book?

I'd be lying if I said my faith didn't waver many times while writing my book. As a depression and anxiety sufferer sometimes the smallest thing can really kill your confidence, from a person putting you down, to losing a few likes on your book page.
One thing that never wavered was the belief that I do have a good book. The man I have shared my life with for 11 years even saw something in the Barnes characters before I put them into a new storyline. What has wavered is going through two different publishers who screwed me over. One made me a cover and that's as far as the process went. The other published me, then shut down giving several different stories about final payouts before just cutting ties off, without paying.

The other thing that gets me down is the fact I feel I am not in a selling genre. In fact, I've been told this. Suspense doesn't sell. Fantasy, sci-fi, romance, erotica, and anything with a vampire seems to be what sells.
I know there are suspense readers out there somewhere, it's just a matter of reaching them. I have reached a few who gave me great comments of praise.
To be honest, that is the only thing that keeps me going. The fact there have been, and are a few readers out there interested in my work. That, and the fact I'd go nuts if I couldn't get all the awesome ideas in my head on paper.
I do write for myself first. I want to be read as well, but know I'm not going to get fifty or even a hundred readers overnight. I believe I have a good book with some great twists in store for readers if they are willing to give me a shot. Not everyone will like my work, but if I have hooked at least one or more, and made them forget about reality for a while as they read my work then that means something to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment